Thursday, December 1, 2011

=14 Loose Screws


It was a wreck that a junk yard would probably turn down. The two teens, Sam and Ben kept looking out the back window to see if any fenders had fallen off Noah's old wreck of a pickup truck. Silver-haired Noah had invited the boys to help fix some doors over at the little country church. Noah loved doing things with the boys, especially since his beloved Nenee went home to Glory last year.

But Noah cherished every moment with the teens. God had built a fire for teens in the old man, and these two bouncing in the seat with him were his teachers, full of valuable lessons about growing up teenager, in this stress-filled world.

The teens followed Noah around the little church and checked each door to see if each one closed and latched OK. Many were found to need attention; some kind of adjusting or oiling.
Ben called out to Noah, from another room with, “Hey Gramps! This door here needs some work on its hinges! It looks like it has a couple screws loose!” Sam responded rather loudly, “...Some screws loose? Ben, if you keep wearing that orange hair people are going to think you've got some screws loose!” Sam made sure to say it with a bit of a chuckle in his tone.

What silver-haired Noah heard next, couldn't have hurt any more than if he was shot with a gun. Ben explained, “Sam, I don't like this orange hair. I think it makes me look like a clown and pushes grownups to distrust me, even be afraid of me. But Sammy, it gets me noticed. This is the only way I know to get any attention – any at all, good or bad. I guess I'm a little like this door hinge. Yeah, there are some parts of me that need tightened up a bit, but I just wish I could find someone that cared more about me than to just throw some lubricating oil at me... telling me what stupid decisions I make... that's all.”

Ben continued, “I'll tell you something else. Most of the guys I've been around get tattoos that are pretty expensive. They take several hours of pain that can be about a 6 on a scale of 10. They like the pain because it continues on, for days after it's done. If you got color, you have to go back again later and get the fading colors touched up again. Mostly they don't care about the picture, they go after the pain. See, Sam, they want the pain because it hides the greater pain inside their head and heart. That inside pain keeps screaming in their mind that no one cares, that they're not worth dirt – and never will be. The tattoo pain hides all that for a little while, just like a person getting drunk or doped up.”

In his own heart, Noah heard a door of opportunity open. The door had been labeled, 'Help Wanted'. A red marker had changed the door label to read, 'Hope Wanted'.
With a bit of a quiver in his voice, Noah said, “Hey guys. I'm off to bring back some subs and cokes for us. I'll be back in about 30 minutes. Oh. I'll get some chips too. Watch out for each other till I get back.”

The Surprise Those 30 Minutes Held -

Hey Ben! Come take a look at this!” was Sam's shout to his friend, in the little church. “Ben, I was going to check another door as I walked past this bulletin board. I want you to look at this report listing the names of church friends in the nursing homes, and their birthdays all arranged in calendar order, grouped by month. I think that looks pretty neat.” Now both teens would agree that Ben doesn't always come up with great ideas, even when he's trying to, but he threw out the idea anyhow. “Sam, I wonder if this Mannie in their teen department would like to try out some of her computering in our business. It wouldn't hurt to ask, would it?”

Isn't it incredible how God opens doors of opportunity, in places you didn't think there was even a wall?