Friday, December 2, 2011

=7 Leading From Behind


A telephone call like no other. Noah's phone rang and was answered. “Is this Noah Pierson?”, was the lady's question. “Yes, this is Noah Pierson.” “Well great. I'm Bonnie Tiffin. You sat on our front porch talking with my son Sam a few days ago. He mentioned you and the kind things you had to say to him, and teens as a whole. Well, I have a favor to ask.” There was a pause before Noah caught his breath and replied, “Sure, Mrs. Tiffin. I'll help if I can.”

Mrs. Tiffin spoke, “Mr. Pierson, for the next couple days after you were here, Sammy's spirits were riding high. He didn't stare at the floor nearly as much as he used to. When his dad left after the divorce two years ago... well... he just needs an older wiser buddy to spend some time with and keep the right perspective on things today. Now, I'm sure you're pretty busy these days, but if you could see your way clear to come over and visit with him again, I'd be plum grateful.” Noah's heart wanted to yell out, “I CAN BE THERE IN 20 MINUTES!” But instead, he replied in a friendly tone, “I could come day after tomorrow, after supper, if that's ok with you. I'd prefer calling you that day, before I come, just to confirm.” “Mrs. Tiffin. I'd really like it if you and Sam would call me Noah or Gramps, instead of Mr. Pierson.” “Well, Gramps, I'm sure Sammy will be thrilled. We'll expect a call from you day after tomorrow. Have a good day. Good by.”

Two days later, silver-haired Noah greeted Sam Tiffin on the teenager's front porch. This was fast becoming a 'win-win' friendship. The teenager with a scarred face looked forward to the silver-haired senior's visits very much. And the reverse was true also. Noah began his 'leading-from-behind' mentoring of the teen with, “Sam. I am very serious in saying I thank you for letting me come over and learn about teenagers from you. I mean it.”

See... two years ago my wife died and it's been pretty tough to find important things for me to do with my days.” Noah looked toward Sam with a soft smile and said, “My mom raised me to be a doer not a watcher. She'd always tell me, 'don't worry about making a mistake. Just get out there and do your best while you're asking God for His help. Noah, don't you cheat God! He wants to join you in doing the things that He's best at. So don't cut Him out.' ”

Noah continued, “Sam, I don't know how many times mom would point her finger in my face and exclaim, 'Noah. We named you after a famous boat builder that spent a long time building something that had never been done before. People laughed at him, but because he was committed to doing his best at what God wanted him to do, many people and animals were saved. And what's more, we're still reading about him today. So son, make us proud, and God happy.'”

After a few moments of quiet, Sam said, “Gramps, I'm just so afraid that kids and people will make fun of me, 'cuz of my burned face. So I just stay home and wish this was all just a bad dream.”

In an instant, Noah slapped both his legs and exclaimed, “Sam! I know what! Let's dream. I have a fairly good imagination, and I'll bet you do too.” Turning in his seat for better eye contact with the teen, Noah said, “Let's make a dream. Here's what we'll do. We are going to dream up a business. You and I'll pretend we're going to start up a business. You know, we've gotta think what we'll sell and how we'll make it and how much it will cost and all that stuff. Wouldn't that be cool?! It doesn't cost us anything to dream, does it, Sam?”

It was like a siren went off, in Sam Tiffin's head. For the very first time his eyes seemed to have a sparkle in them. In some way, it seemed his scarred face didn't make any difference anymore. The teenager wanted to hug Noah, I mean 'Gramps', but wasn't sure if it was the right thing to do. The silver-haired senior settled that in short order. His arms had ached a long time for someone to hug, and this was the perfect time. Noah wanted so much for his departed wife to know about the friendship just made, on Sam's front porch.

I think she did. Don't you?